Saturday, July 21, 2012

Karl Popper ‎"…frameworks, like languages, may be barriers. They may even be prisons. But a strange conceptual framework, just like a foreign language, is no absolute barrier: we can break into it, just as we can break out of our own framework, our own prison. And just as breaking through a language barrier is difficult but very much worth our while, and likely to repay our efforts not only by widening our intellectual horizon but also by offering us much enjoyment, so it is with breaking through the barrier of a framework. A breakthrough of this kind is a discovery for us. It has often led to a breakthrough in science, and it may do so again." - จาก essay “The Myth of the Framework” ของ Karl Popper

3 comments:

  1. My, you are getting esoteric! Karl Popper brings me back to my Sociology classes in the 1970's. :) One of my favorite classes was the Sociology of Knowledge, which describes the social process how "knowledge" is a shifting consensus of understanding, and creates "revolutions" of paradigms - similar to Popper's discussing the "breaking through the barrier of a framework" above.

    What led you to find this quote?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vow...I probably haven't been born yet at that time.
    I accidentally found this quote from the internet.
    I read his book "All Life is Problem Solving".
    I also have PDF version of his other books but need to wait until I have more free time to read.
    It's interesting because he's a mix between scientist (or economist and so on) and philosopher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL That is what sociologists are - a mix between social philosophers and scientists. The "science" is "soft" since it it hard to operationalize concepts to measure them accurately, and because people's behavior changes when they are being watched. My favorite social philosopher/sociologist was Pitirim Sorokin who saw societies as cultures historically moving back and forth between sensing (sensate matrialistic) cultures and idealizing (spiritual) cultures. His examples were very compelling, and I can see the continuing patterns and rhythms worldwide and in the US right now.

    ReplyDelete